Here’s more or less everything you need to know to get started, from zero knowledge, with growing food and raising chickens for eggs and meat.
If it seems like a lot…it’s not. Each article is quick to read or easy to skim. Grasp the basics or just get the answer to a specific question. Take what you need and return for more later. Explore in the order that makes sense to you.
The only other critical thing you need to do is get out there and grow something to eat (no space is too tiny, even a flowerpot is a place to start). It’s fun! :)
- Basics of plant science for growers – Concise, illustrated intro to plant science.
- Biodynamic agriculture explained – The best quick intro to biodynamic farming that I’ve found, all on one page, and illustrated, too…
- Chicken eggs FAQ – Quick answers to the most likely egg questions.
- Crop rotation for vegetables – A quick, practical summary (and how-to) of an ultimately complex and complicated subject.
- Edible flowers – General notes and an annotated list of ornamentals, veggies and herbs.
- Equipment needs for veggie farms – Detailed equipment requirements for various sizes of veggie farm (absolutely accurate!).
- Get to know your soil – Soil composition and testing basics for growers.
- Insects & pest control basics – Practical entomology for gardeners.
- Marketing online – Save on time, money and distraction, by sticking to the essentials for a web site and a social media presence.
- Moon planting guide – Planting according to the phases of the moon may be worth a try.
- Plant naming explained – Common names vs botanical names, and how plants are named.
- Poultry butchering – A step-by-step, illustrated guide, with lots of alternatives and general information.
- Rainfall calculator – How many gallons is one inch of rain on one acre of land? Questions like these, easily answered here.
- Raising chickens 101 – One-stop site for small-flock chicken info.
- Root cellar basics – A practical intro to root cellaring and long-term veggie storage.
- Seed saving guide– A quick-reading, solid guide, with details for common garden veggies—all you need to get started.
- Seed storage times – How long seeds last (cross check with a couple of other sources as estimates vary quite a bit for some veggies).
- Seeds per gram – Chart showing number of seeds by weight for (North American) garden veggies.
- Sunrise and sunset (daylength) calendars – Sunrise and sunset calendars for anywhere in the world.
- Vegetable growing guide – Individual guides to growing 58 garden vegetables.
- Veggie planting chart – Basic veggie planting info: seed quantity, spacing, depth, yield, more…
- Weather averages – Look up average and record temperature, precipitation, etc, for any location, worldwide.
- Weeds as soil indicators – Determine soil condition by seeing what plants are naturally growing on a piece of land.
If you run into cool pages that you think belong here, or better ones than those already listed, please let me know!